What is Mass communication?
Mass communication is defined as the communication of information from an individual, group of individual, or an organization to masses. Common modes of communication include TV, radio, print media & social media.
For all those who have their eyes set on a career related to media & the world, bachelors in mass communication (BMC ) is a great course, to begin with. As with the world witnessing a phenomenal & never seen before the explosion in the world of communication technology & media, many boundaries have been & some continue to be transcended. & as a global community is forming with the help of this advancement in technology, if anyone wants to pursue a career in this field it becomes necessary to have a stream of study. Mass communication course is not restricted to only journalism.
Details related to Mass Communication:
Types of Mass Communication courses
- Bachelors in Mass Communication (BA)
- Diploma in Visual Communication
- A. – Mass Communication
- Bachelors of Science in Mass Communication ( B.Sc)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Mass Communication
Top Colleges which provide Mass Communication course in India
Symbiosis Institute of Media & Communication, Pune
College of Arts, Science & Commerce, Mumbai
Kamala Nehru College for Women, Delhi
Madras Christian College, Chennai
Christ University, Bangalore
Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi
Indraprastha College for Women, New Delhi
- Completion of Secondary (10+2)from any recognized Board with minimum 50% marks.
- Excellent English speaking proficiency.
- Minimum duration of the course is 10 months full time.
- The maximum duration of the course is 3 years.
These are the following basic subjects in BMC course of any college across India. Subjects include –
- Advertising & Cultural Consumption
- Media Audiences
- News Machine
- Ethics & Media Culture
- News & New Media
- Visual Media & Mass Communication
- Media & Politics
- Average Course Fee per Annum is around Rs .146,000
- Average Course fee per Semester is around Rs. 76, 000
Any candidates with excellent communication skills & strong people skills are given more preference in this field over others. Candidates are required to be energetic, skillful, & creative. The more your interactive skills, the more you score!
- Event manager
- Video Jockey (VJ )
- Fashion Photographer Cartoonist
- DTP Publisher
- Corporate Communication
- Film Maker- Director, Producer, Editor,
- Script Writer
- Sound Mixer & Sound Recorder
- Special Correspondent
- TV Correspondent
- Film Director
- TV Producer
- News Anchor
- Sound Editor
- Web Designer
- Content Editor
- PR Professional
- Radio Jockey (RJ )
- Art Director
After completion of Mass comm you can join following companies as per your field of interest:
Make sure you decide the field by approving self-interest and understanding. This can be done by thorough observation of sustaining seniors in the industry i.e. the experienced or by practicing your skillset before stepping into the ring.
- Broadcasting Corporations
- All India Radio (AIR )
- Circulation & Public Relations
- Central Information Service (CIS )
- Legal Affairs Dept
- Television Channels
- News Agency
- Press Information Bureau (PIB )
- Photography Company
- Radio Telecasting Company
- Magazines & Websites Periodicals
- Advertising Agency
- Books & Novels
Keeping in mind that this area of the subject is not as important. As the amount of experience and knowledge one obtains from the field matters the most and will affect the salary in another obvious way of calculation.
- Starting salary of a mass communication field can be between Rs. 12000 & Rs. 25000
- After gaining some good experience, say 5 years, you can earn a salary in the range of Rs 50000 to Rs 100000 per month. Industries usually offer packages ranging from 2.5 to 6.0 lakhs per annum.
Different modes of media in Mass Communication
- Print -Newspapers Magazine Books
- Audio -Radio Music/Sound Recording
- Visual -Film TV Video games
- Digital -Internet
Just have the zeal to make a name in this field and get your creative streak rolling! We hope this was useful!
For more such updates stay tuned with us. You can also follow us on social media sites.